Everyone has a role in making health care safe - doctors, nurses, family members - and especially you! The Finley Hospital has put many checks in place to keep you safe and prevent errors with your care, but we also need your help to play a vital role.
Work with your doctor and other health care professionals as a team
- Share your health history with your care team.
- Share up-to-date information about your care with everyone who's treating you.
- Make sure you understand the care and treatment you'll be receiving. Ask questions if you're not clear on your care.
- Pay attention. If something doesn't seem right, call it to the attention of your doctor or health care professional.
- Discuss any concerns about your safety with your health care team.
Keep track of your history
- Write down your medical history including any medical conditions you have, illnesses, immunizations, allergies, hospitalizations, all medications and dietary supplements you're taking, and any reactions or sensitivities you've experienced.
- Write down the names and phone numbers of your doctors, clinics, and pharmacies for quick and easy reference.
Involve a family member or friend in your care
- If you're not able to observe or participate fully in your care, ask a family member or friend to assist. They can accompany you on appointments or stay with you, help you ask questions, understand care instructions and suggest your preferences.
Follow the treatment plan agreed upon by you and your doctor
- Be sure you receive all instructions in writing and that you read and understand them. And, have information explained verbally.
- Take medications exactly as prescribed.
- Use home medical equipment and supplies only as instructed.
- Report anything unusual to your doctor.
Source: National Patient Safety Foundation® ( NPSF)